One of the top Mother’s Day rituals dads and children put together for the household matriarch is an exquisite breakfast in bed. You don’t have to be a culinary genius to pull together a thoughtful breakfast-in-bed execution. All you need is some creativity, ingredients and decorations to improve the tray’s presentation, such as decorative napkins and flowers. Here are some favorite Mother’s Day recipes to give you inspiration for your own surprise for your mom:
For the Health Nut Mom: Acai Bowl
Ingredients for the base (serves two):
- 8 oz. frozen acai
- 8 oz. frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and/or raspberries)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 scoops vanilla whey- or plant-based protein powder
- 1.5-2 cups almond milk
- Add all base ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until it becomes a smooth liquid.
- Serve on its own or topped with your choice of ingredients.
This low-effort breakfast is perfect for the health-conscious mother, as it starts her morning off nutritiously so she can indulge in her favorite treats throughout the rest of the day. It’s a low-fat, low-carb, high-protein breakfast that’s packed full of vitamins and natural sugars that satisfy Mom’s sweet tooth. In addition, when plated properly, this breakfast begs to be photographed. You can serve up the base recipe as a smoothie or pour it into bowls topped with your choice of ingredients, such as:
- Shredded coconut
- Cut-up fruit
- Chia seeds
- Chopped almonds or walnuts
- Extra peanut butter
For the Classic Breakfast Lover: Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- Large egg
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Preparation instructions (from Pinch of Yum):
- Mix together milk and vinegar.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add egg, melted butter and milk/vinegar mixture to bowl.
- Pour between ¼- cup of batter onto a skillet, topped with blueberries.
- Heat and flip until cooked through.
Let’s face it: It’s hard to compete with the classics. A tasty helping of blueberry pancakes topped with butter and real maple syrup is the perfect way to kick off your day of appreciation for mom. You might decide to use packaged pancake mix to save some time, but there’s no doubt she will appreciate the love that goes into a fresh, homemade stack.
For a Little Bit of Everything: Breakfast Tacos
Ingredients (serves four):
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup avocado
- 1 cup pico de gallo (or salsa of choice)
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup home fries (homemade or from package)
- ½ lb. pork sausage, bacon or ham
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk
- ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
Preparation instructions (from Taste of Home):
- Fold together drained black beans, avocado, pico de gallo and lime juice.
- Cook home fries and meat until both are cooked through.
- Mix eggs and milk, then cook over medium heat.
- Spoon finished eggs into tortillas, then top with cheese, meat and potatoes and black bean/avocado mixture.
- Top with additional ingredients, such as sour cream, cilantro or extra guacamole or salsa, as desired.
Does mom believe that all breakfast items should be treated equally? Combine all of her morning favorites into delicious, flavorful breakfast tacos! They’re sure to be a hit for the whole family. Best of all, everyone can control their desired spice level by adding extra hot sauce (or skipping it).
For the Classy Mother: Vegetable and Goat Cheese Quiche
Ingredients (serves six):
- Refrigerated, pre-made pie crust
- Medley of fresh veggies (eggplant, tomato, pepper, onion, zucchini, etc.) chopped into one-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp .olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 large eggs and 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup cream
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation instructions (from Taste of Home):
- Place pie crust into a 9-inch pan.
- Bake on a low oven rack at 425 degrees until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Toss chopped vegetables with olive oil, coating all sides evenly.
- Roast vegetables on a baking pan for 15-20 minutes.
- Put cooked veggies into pie crust.
- Whisk eggs, yolks, cream, salt and pepper and pour over veggies.
- Sprinkle goat cheese along the top.
- Bake on a low oven rack at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
For a more elegant take on breakfast, this quiche provides the right taste, texture and orientation. It’s a savory meal that’s packed with essential nutrients that you can store and save for days. If there are leftovers, you can save them for mom’s Monday morning breakfast, extending this special holiday into an additional day.
For a Simple Crowd-Pleaser: Upscale Avocado Toast
Ingredients (serves one):
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- ½ avocado
- 2 large eggs
- Handful of arugula
- Salt and pepper
If you didn’t have time to go to the grocery store on Saturday, you should have no trouble gathering the ingredients for an upscale avocado toast so easy, we’ll let you experiment with the cooking instructions. You might decide to top each slice of bread with avocado slices and over-medium eggs with just the right level of yolk softness mom loves. Or you might experiment a little more by adding some chopped veggies and leafy greens to make it into a colorful work of art.